The age of Snapchat is upon us. Snapchat currently boasts 100 million active users, surpassing Twitter. Since its inception in September 2011, Snapchat has transformed from a “not so Disney” platform to one of the most effective methods to market and reach various demographics. As a social media marketer for your business, Snapchat provides an incredible opportunity to target millennials who account for 70% of all Snapchat users.
As a millennial, digital marketer, and avid Snapchat user, here are some of my insights on the benefits and different ways to utilize Snapchat to help promote your business.
More Crazy Snap Stats:
Snapchat matters and here are some numbers to prove it:
- According to Bloomberg, Snapchat’s daily video views have skyrocketed from 2 billion in May 2015 to 10 billion in May 2016.
- Bloomberg also reports that about 60% of daily Snapchat users send content directly to their friends or post on their “stories.”
- To further endorse Snapchat’s ubiquity and relevance among millennials, a recent Forbe’s article stated: “over 60% of Americans between the ages of 13-38 are Snapchat users, with 37% of users falling between the ages of 18-24.”
A majority of snapchatters utilize their “story” feature, which allows them to post real-time photos and videos of their lives, accessible to their friends for 24 hours. This addition, as represented above, has boosted daily views and increased creation and consumption of content on the app.
Snapchat Ads, Sponsored Lenses, and the Geofilter Craze:
Snapchat offers many paid marketing opportunities for your business to choose from, these include: Ads, Sponsored Geofilters, and Sponsored Lenses. So what do these fancy snap words mean?
- Snapchat Ads are 10-second, vertical videos that appear among other snaps. You have the option to give people the chance to swipe up and learn more about what you are advertising.
- Sponsored Geofilters are an artistic creation that you can design specifically for your company/brand and designate to a certain area. When a snapchatter is in the location of your choice, a user can swipe left and they will be able see your Geofilter and add it to their photo.
- Personal note: my friends and I always check to see what Geofilters are accessible to us wherever we go and snap. Coming up with a funny or well-designed Geofilter is a great way to increase brand recognition.
- Sponsored Lenses are interactive ways for users to play with your ad. Snapchat does a great job explaining this feature: “To activate Lenses, Snapchatters simply press and hold on their faces. Some Lenses include prompts like “raise your eyebrows” to trigger an animation, adding a fun twist to the experience.”
To learn more about how successful advertising on Snapchat can be, visit their website to see how companies have benefited from these advertising tools. A quick example: Gatorade Sponsored a National Lens during the Super Bowl. Users could experience the “Gatorade dunk” on their phones and share with friends and family.
Highlight and Tease New Products:
Do you want to know how to get your customers and fans excited about a new product launch? The answer is easy: post teaser videos and photos on your snap story. Creating short, 10-second videos or quickly disappearing images will generate buzz and get people jazzed about your product’s upcoming release. Even after your product has become accessible to the public, continue to highlight its various features. Snapchat users love seeing a product in action, with real people using it and reaping the benefits.
Product Tease Success Story:
Social media maven, Kylie Jenner has successfully marketed her Kylie Cosmetics lipstick and gloss lines on her personal Snapchat. Her lip products sell out in 10 minutes after going live on her website. She recently launched her “Kyshadow Kit” and featured it on her snap story. In her story, she presented: the various aspects of her new product, the kit’s launch date, showed her Snapchat followers how to apply the make-up on herself, and even surprised fans by appearing at their front door with a free kit.Whatever your feelings are about the Kardashian/Jenner clan, one thing is for certain, they are masters at using their social media accounts to promote their brand, and now they have taken over Snapchat.
But generating hype does not need to be limited to upcoming products. Utilize your business’s snap story to focus on products available in-store and online to drive purchasing. 76% of Snapchat users buy products online, and these shoppers also love discounts. Add discount promotions to your snap story. They disappear within 24 hours so customers will have to act fast!
Another Case Study, But Local:
Recently, I worked as a sales assistant at a small clothing boutique in Denver. Carrying trendy LA styles, this local boutique receives only a limited number of sizes for their new items. To encourage in-store purchasing because they do not sell online, they started using Snapchat to post photos and videos of customers and store associates wearing new clothing pieces. Customers were able to see what the boutique just received and how the clothes fit on various body types. This boutique saw a 15% increase in sales. Snapchat can be a prime promotional tool that can drive sales and foot traffic to your store.
Celebrities Are Influencers on Snapchat:
Celebrity Snapchat users include Michelle Obama, supermodel Gigi Hadid, pop queen Beyonce, and Avicii, to name a few. Thousands follow these top celebrities and they utilize their snap stories to give fans peeks into their glamorous lives.
Many celebrities love to show off the various products they receive from either top or up and coming brands. They post videos and photos of the clothing, make-up, and accessory items they use and recommend. Celebrity endorsements are critical to increasing brand awareness and their fans flock to purchase the items their favorite celebrities love. If you send a great product to a well-favored celebrity, who knows, they may endorse your business on Snapchat!
Snapchat is here to stay. I believe it will continue to evolve and roll out many more new tools for advertising and even purchasing through the app. Be wise and start snapping!